Guardian: I don't know how this ended up in the left falling Guardian of all places, but David Aaronovitch may have had an epiphany on why the "dumb poor" people would vote for President Bush. "But suppose, for a moment, that the Kansas voters aren't so dumb. Suppose, first, that they don't buy the economic prospectus unwittingly along with the social populism, but consciously because they actually agree with it - because (and this hurts) it does actually tie in with their concrete experience. In other words, their consciousness is not false at all. Why might a poor person be opposed to tax increases and social benefits? Possibly because they hope to be richer themselves, maybe because they believe that high benefits are a disincentive to work and conceivably they believe both because that is exactly what they see happening around them - folks getting rich and folks idling. " and realizes Europe has a problem. "And European social democrats have to concede that there is such a thing as a disincentive to work. As Will Hutton pointed out, writing about Germany in last Sunday's Observer, one "vital prerequisite to restoring German economic health" is for the authorities to "stop offering what amounts to a generous pension for life", cutting it down to something that tides people over between jobs. "
Tuesday, September 07, 2004
Currently playing: The media's true role
- Name: Ripclawe
- Location: Florida, United States
Caribbean born and bred.
"If being smart is "acting white." Then what is acting black?"
Pic of the day
- Ace of Spades
- Booker Rising
- Captain's Quarters
- Daily Ablution
- Daniel Drezner
- Hot Air
- Just One Minute
- Michelle Malkin
- NRO Corner
- Slient Running
- Tim Blair
- That Liberal Media
- TV Newser
- Technorati Profile
- Russia: Russian Government is furious about what/h...
- Preparing for Hurricane Frances, I hate hunting fo...
- RNC 2nd night: Arnold was great, the twins were be...
- Trinidad: Another case of my home country going to...
- France: The two French journalists who have been k...
- Sudan: Where there is black people to exploit and ...
- Kerry: This part of John Kerry's 1971 testimony is...
- NYTimes: This is like a broken record, but the NYT...
- Old Media whine: Article from Editor and Publisher...
- Kerry: FEC chairman Bradley Smith is not giving th...